AT17

AT17
The blog will now be devoted not to boat building but to my 82-year-old Vertue, Sally II, now undergoing a well needed refit at Johnson & Loftus in Ullapool (and gliding...)

Friday 1 April 2011

In a Secret Location Somewhere in Scotland...

... a 23ft 4in gunning punt is taking shape. Only a few are trusted enough to see progress, and are blindfolded on the way there and back. A close watch is kept on any bird watchers seen to stray too close to the location.


I am joking, of course. So, here are the first photos of the punt, as taken this morning after the last of the frames were fixed onto the hog. These are made up from pieces of oak, 3in x 1/2in, with marine ply webs top and bottom on which the skins will land. Seems pretty strong so far.


Although I will use plywood for the deck and bottom, I am keen to use larch for the sides, which are only 8in wide at most. If anyone has any thoughts about whether to use 8mm or 9mm ply, please let me know. For the sides I will probably thickness the larch to 1/2in, or about 12mm. She's a touch over 4ft wide at the widest point.

I reckon with a sail she would go pretty quick, sideways...

No comments:

Post a Comment