AT17

AT17
The blog will now be devoted not to boat building but to my 82-year-old Vertue, Sally II, now undergoing a well needed refit at Johnson & Loftus in Ullapool (and gliding...)

Monday 21 November 2011

Wishful Thinking

Thought perhaps that if I put up a photo of a faering, I might just be building another one soon. Fingers crossed, but if it comes about then it will not only keep me gainfully employed for a few months, but satisfy my longing to build one of Iain Oughtred's most delightful, and my favourite, small boats. The perfection of simplicity.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely. I'll cross my fingers with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I built the hull of the Galloway Faering at the Bootbouwschool of Bert van Baar in the Netherlands and finished it at home. The lines are beautiful and the boats really "flies" over the water. My only remark is that the rear thwart support is too flimsy. If you are > 80 kg and sail from that position the thwart will pivot and crack around the screws as the support is not wide enough. I will remove the seat this winter and put a backrest there and sit on the floors while sailing. If I sailing from the other thwart the sail is blocking my view too much. By the way I think the kapes are very traditional but I find them difficult to row over a longer period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get your wish! The world needs more faerings. Great picture too.
    Brandon

    ReplyDelete