AT17

AT17
The blog will now be devoted not to boat building but to my 82-year-old Vertue, Sally II, now undergoing a well needed refit at Johnson & Loftus in Ullapool (and gliding...)

Tuesday 17 April 2018

Nearly There

October last year was it? The last post? It must have been a long, cold winter (it was) and with snowdrifts above the windowsills at one point.

 Now spring is in the air and the Arctic Tern is about to fly south to Lake Geneva where she will cut a very strange figure. What will the Genevans make of a Norwegian/Scottish, Scandinavian/Shetland type boat among all those Rivas?


And coming along nicely is a loch fishing boat for the Isle of Mull, due out on 1 May, after which I intend to take a break for a few weeks to work on Sally.


Besides which, our tenure at the Old Dairy Parlour is coming to an end in 9 months. The end of an era, indeed, after nearly 18 years in which over 20 new boats have emerged from the dusty depths, some of them quite good, I have to say.



What I will do is anyone's guess. It depends on whether I can find a place to work, and I have a few ideas. But surely there can be no better place than where I am, for which thanks are due to my wonderful landlady, sometime pig farmer, turkey breeder, sheep raiser, cattle farmer, chainsaw wielder, wall builder and crofter extraordinary, Lucy Beattie



3 comments: