AT17

AT17
Vendia 9mm planking from Finland and Collano Semparoc glue from Switzerland, plus a few coats of International Clear Primer, white paint, what a brilliant combination to build a boat. Here's the latest Viking Boats of Ullapool creation, an Iain Oughtred-designed Arctic Tern, the 17ft version, after being turned. and at the long process of fitting out begins.

Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Woodseal RIP

And so farewell Hempel's Woodseal, gone the way of the late lamented International UCP (which was not a patch on it, and came in ridiculously small tins to boot). You have served me well over the years, laying down an impervious clear coat over which I have laid everything from varnish to topcoat. 


It always did, however, smell rather dodgy, but like any glue-sniffing addict, I got quite fond of it. The decision to drop it has probably added a few months to my lifespan. One more for the 'elf and safety boys... Not a bad thing, perhaps, and it was shockingly expensive too...

PS I have it from Hempel's excellent Norman Curtis that Episeal, two-pack clear epoxy, will achieve much the same result.

2 comments:

  1. I dont know.
    does two pack epoxy products exist that are flexible when hardened?
    In this famous wood boat revival, there´s a tendency to smear everything in epoxy (take a look at redbarnboats youtube videos)
    I dont think that epoxy or two components products work that well with solid wood. Wood likes to work... And if I was building or had a 100% solid wood boat, I wouldnt use things like that.
    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that coating everything in epoxy is not a good idea, even plywood, which was why Woodseal was so brilliant.

    I hate mixing epoxy, but Woodseal being one part, thin, soaked into the top veneer and as plywood is a man-made laminate, and stable (a bit like Formica)they were perfectly matched.

    I have used Woodseal on solid timber to good effect, and it works fine, but my preference is for Varnol first to "feed" the timber, then a good, tung oil varnish. More traditional and Varnol smells great. But I would always overcoat with varnish. Varnol also makes an excellent primer under paint.

    ReplyDelete