Elfyn

Elfyn
Elfyn turned prior to fitting the frames, which will be to Iain's Galloway Faering plan, ie traditional.

Saturday, 18 June 2011

Blimey!

Thanks to Bursledon Blogger, and photographer Piconasso, I can bring you the largest wooden structure in the world, the Parasol in Seville. No mention of plywood, but I suspect that's what it's made of, so that'll be "the world's biggest plywood structure" (completely different to my mind).

Image Credit Flickr User Piconasso
Like it or not, it's a hell of a way to blow 130 million euros. Wonder what it'll look like in ten years time. And all that end grain.

Personally, and I have looked at the photos from all angles, I think it's horrible, but I don't know why. Not because it's probably responsible for destroying a forest, or consuming a swimming pool of e**xy. I just think it looks like it's been designed by a computer, which it was. As every element is uniquely shaped (I read) it would have taken a team of architects 20 years to draw it on paper.


Incidentally, that Collano glue stuff is shaping up well. It's not a complete alternative to epoxy, but pretty close. No waste, no mixing, cleans up pretty well, chips off like epoxy when dry, strong, water resistant. I wouldn't suggest using it on something like the Parasol without further tests though... But that Nutshell dinghy went together pretty well without a drop of epoxy in sight. Fingers crossed...


 

1 comment:

  1. as my original comment I think it looks amazing well worth travelling to Seville to see. While you might need a computer to model and do the calculations it shows that we're not restricted by imagination or at last the technologies of woodworking.

    ReplyDelete