Elfyn

Elfyn
Elfyn turned prior to fitting the frames, which will be to Iain's Galloway Faering plan, ie traditional.

Thursday, 9 February 2012

Two from Mr Oughtred

Spotted these two dinghies outside my shed today and realised they must have been the ones I built recently. It's just nice to have two boats, especially so similar in style, alongside each other for a few days before they depart. A rare occurrence and one I thought I'd better capture while I could.


The smaller of the two is Iain's Guillemot; the larger his Tammie Norrie. The former is built of larch on oak and steamed Scots pine, the latter of Scots pine planking with larch garboards, and timbered out in larch as well, a material I am increasingly using for framing as it steams well, doesn't crack and can be found in long, clear lengths, whereas the slightest flaw in oak and it's in the wood burner.


The stem of the Guillemot is laminated while that of the Tammie Norrie is solid. And while the little boat is for rowing only her big sister carries a lugsail.


The only thing missing is a rubbing strip on the larger boat, probably a simple half round of oak or mahogany, left unfinished as the whole point is that it's designed to rub, so will lose any paint sharpish.


The blue strip on the Guillemot, on the other hand, is more for show as she's left on a mooring and to give that wide top strake a little more lift at the transom.

3 comments:

  1. Adrian, I really enjoy your blog. I am wanting to build a new trout fishing dinghy for use here in NZ. It will be rowed and powered with a 4hp outboard. Traditional clinker dinghies were widely used here until the debit of fibreglass and tin (alloy). Your comparison of the Guillemot and Tammie Norrie is interesting, but no comment on seaworthiness and handling. I note both boats have the same beam, the only apparent difference is length. I like both boats but can only build one. So any thoughts based on actual experience will be helpful. Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don

    For handling, weight ease of launching then the Guillemot would be my choce, but it s a bit small for three to fish. The Tammie Norrie would be the size of boat traditionally used up here, heavier and capable of carrying three on a windy loch. So, depends on your water: if it's just you and a rod on a sheltered stretch of water, then the Guillemot, if not then the Tammie Norrie. If built in plywood then bear in mind how much lighter they will be and not nearly so good as loch fishing boats, with much less grip and more easily blown about by the wind, without a drogue.

    My Guillemot was built a little longer than the standard boat, so if you did go for one, then I would stretch it by spacing the moulds further apart.

    Lastly, I did notice that the transom of the Guillemot is actually wider than the TM, but without detailed comparison I couldn't say what effect that would have on seaworthiness, but suggest it makes the Guillemot a good weight carrier for her ize.

    But choice of construction is key: solid timber makes the best trout fishing boats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian
      Much appreciated your comments. I have access to NZ grown Lawson Cypress so may look at building the boat traditionally in your style. I built a 30 foot launch out of Lawsons and framed a yacht out of the same timber. My launch Tusk features on this blog when I remember to update it. http://tusklog.blogspot.co.nz/
      Stretching the Guillemot is a good option, which I had not thought of doing.
      Thank you for your comment about the size of crew - yes mostly there will be 2 persons fishing, not three.
      Thank you for comments. I enjoy your blog.
      For your information my Grandfather left Ullapool for New Zealand in 1899 - they say his dog he left behind waited on the wharf for 7 days before going back to his kennel.
      Best regards Don MacLeod

      Delete