AT17

AT17
The blog will now be devoted not to boat building but to my 82-year-old Vertue, Sally II, now undergoing a well needed refit at Johnson & Loftus in Ullapool (and gliding...)

Wednesday 18 November 2015

All Planked up (and nowhere to go...)

Sheerline needs a trim, down at the mid point by 1in or so, tapering to nothing at the bow. Apart from that, she's ready for fitting out.


A coat or two of sealer first of all before timbering out. Not a lot more to say other than how much harder it is to build in solid timber than plywood. More rewarding, yes; more latitude in how you lay the planks, yes; need for steaming at bow and stern, yes. Nicer? Undoubtedly. Building this boat reminded me why I got involved in traditional boat building and why I firmly believe we should never, ever forget how to build in solid clinker, a method that is as old as the Vikings who brought it to our shores.


Harder, most certainly, but do not anyone ever tell you that a plywood clinker boat is anything other than a poor, very poor relation. Sorry, but having built a few of them both, I know which I prefer (despite the head scratching and agonising).


No comments:

Post a Comment